- Hi, Give a brief history of Painthing, music style, and the members.
The band formed around 2014. We are a bunch of friends living in Warsaw. In the past we played in various bands and shared few gigs bills together but didn’t had the chance to play together in one band. As our previous bands disbanded some time ago, the right opportunity has come to try to make music together and time has shown that it was a great idea.
- Give in more detail, some information about “Where Are You Now…?” and how well it sells?
It’s our debut album. We have spent lots of hours in rehearsals and in studio to be fully satisfied with the result and be able to share with the audience. It’s 8 songs of old school doom metal played in the vein of English pioneers of the kind such as Anathema or My Dying Bride. We hope it sells very well but we didn’t have yet the feedback on the matter.
- Painthing has signed with Solitude Productions, tell more about that?
After the recordings we were looking for a suitable label that will match with the record. Solitude Productions was an obvious choice for us as they share the enthusiasm for doom music and it’s a pleasure to be in their rooster.
- What is the difference between your latest and the very first records?
“Where are you now…?” is our debut album so I think we made a huge step forward as we didn’t had any record before and now we have one.
- What inspires Painthing music and lyric writing? What does Painthing lyrics talk about?
First of all, the lyrics is relevant and inevitable part of the album. Music and lyrical parts combined together make this work completed. Regarding the topics – if I would say that they treat about life, death, fear, joy etc… I would say nothing. It doesn’t mean that they are so generic and vague that it’s impossible to identify the point, as it frequently happens in so called “doom metal poetry”. They are quite simple, but you may be touched by them in your very personal way, as they refer directly to emotions. This is why I strongly encourage you to read them by yourself and have your own interpretation.
- Do you play live often? Do you like abroad gigs?
We have played 6 shows so far mainly in Warsaw region. We should play more often and are open to play abroad gigs but didn’t had such opportunity so far. But we’re looking forward to.
- How often does the band practice and work on new material?
We try to keep regular rehearsals once in a week. When we have a gig coming we’re making it twice a week mainly to practice the set.
- How did the band come up with the name Painthing and tell what does it means for you?
We use the music as painters use the paint to create their vision out of emotions. As the result you get the piece of art, filled with colors, structures, shapes…The complete composition takes you into your personal journey through your sensibility, feelings and reflections. Our music is our painting and because there’s lot of pain and sadness within, this word play – pain(ful) thing / painting brought us to PAINTHING.
- What does the band plan on doing in near time?
We plan to play more gigs and keep the promotion of the record rolling.
- Any message to Sick and Destroy readers?
Thank you very much for this interview and cheers to your readers.
Feel free to follow us on www.facebook.com/painthingband and listen to our music online or via Tidal, Spotify etc.