Hi, Within The Giant’s Reach. “In The Beginning” is to be released in May. You must be excited?
Yes we are. This project has been a year in the making.
First of all, we would like to know about the formation of the band. When and how was it formed? Do you think the band name ‘Within The Giant’s Reach’ perfectly describes your music and philosophy?
WITHIN THE GIANT’S REACH was formed by Norman Lucas and William Taylor in summer of 2016. We were tired of the negativity that generally metal music projects in perception. We wanted a project that stepped out of the norm. We decided to write lyrical metal which was relatable. Positive messages that talked about the physical and mental challenges we all face in society and life.
The band name sums up what this band stand for. The idea initially came from the great underdog story of David and Goliath speaking to overcoming obstacles. Then once we started writing and establishing the messages we are trying to portray it developed into something bigger. Each of us struggle with mind battles that affect us physically and mentally. The “giant” portrays those struggles always within reach. You are in constant battle with it until that day you wake up acknowledge your full potential and conquer your giant.
Okay now tell us something about “In The Beginning”, and the lyrical themes behind each track. What are the ideas you wanted to put across?
Norman Lucas (Vocals) – The album as a whole to me is, positive, chaos, eye opening, and blood sweat and tears. And it’s only the beginning.
1. The Summit: Is an ode to reaching your goals no matter how daunting the task, being the best you, you can be and just getting to the top of your own personal summit. Climbing your own personal successful mountain of life and reaching the top.
2. Rise: Is a song about blocking the negative things in your life. And no matter how many times they knock you down you get back up try a different approach and keep going forward and never look back.
3. Faceless: Is about those people who have negative words towards you to try and drag you down. But they never stand face to face with you; they talk behind your back or anonymously behind a key board. Because they don’t have the guts to step up face to face and get what’s coming to them. They are really just wasting their time and try to waste yours as well.
4. Collapse, Rebuild: Is about being at that lowest part of your life, and somehow finding the courage to reboot your thought process and rebuild yourself back up. And getting back on your feet and hit the ground running towards a better you, rather than just giving up.
5. Scars: Is an Anthem song against bullying. It is a real problem in society that is not going away.
6. Same Blood: Is an eye opening song, to help everyone understand that racism, no matter what color you are is a waste of great human interaction. The color of one’s skin doesn’t define who we are, our actions and the kind of people we are on the inside does. Remove our flesh and we are all the same visually. If we all hadn’t been born with flesh, or we were all born blind what use would there be is such a hatred for flesh tone? Our humanity is what’s on the inside, and just because we have the ability to create our own opinions doesn’t mean we have to hate one another because we disagree with each other’s opinions and not get along with one another. We all have things in common befriend one another on those opinions alone and stop wasting time on the opinions we don’t agree with.
Where and when did you record “In The Beginning”? Are you satisfied with it?
We started the recording process in August of 2016 with Monster Sound Media in collaboration with Arktic Studios. The first three songs were recorded initially to build a full tour line up then the other three followed. We finished up recording December 2017. We couldn’t be happier with the end product.
Are you gonna to release some official band merch?
A whole merch line will release along with our debut EP may 11th. Keep up with our Facebook, Instagram, and twitter for details.
What are Within The Giant’s Reach’s musical and non-musical influences?
Musical influences we all agree come from the musicians in our local music scenes. I grew up in Indianapolis, IN where back in that time had a thriving 80’s and 90’s style metal. I got to learn the production and business side of being a musician before I decided down the path of being one. It has really helped us with lessons learned and how to get us started off on the right foot. Today we come from two very diverse scenes of San Antonio, TX and St Louis, MO. Both have a stock of quality musicians most that have become our friends over the years.
Shall we expect some gigs across USA or Europe near time?
We will be on tour in the Midwest on “The Beginning of it All Tour” starting May 25th and running through June 3rd. First leg of our tour season to get out there and promote the release. More dates to be announced in the future.
When shall fans to expect something new from you? Videoclip, single, documentary etc?
Recently we have done two premieres. The first was our debut single “Faceless” through New Noise Magazine. Then most recent was “The Summit” through itdjents.com. We would like to thanks both sites for the support. We plan on shooting a music video in the summer so be on the lookout for that.
Thanks a lot for the interview. Speak out to your fans, supporters, critics and our readers before we wrap up!
WITHIN THE GIANT’S REACH believes in UNITY NOT SEPARATION musically as well as in our everyday lives. Support one another. If you have follow us on social media and catch us out on tour support our debut release “In The Beginning” which will be available May 11th wherever digital downloads are sold.