Joe Perry — legendary guitarist, co-founding member, principal songwriter and co-producer of AEROSMITH — assembled an all-star band to perform alongside him at the sold-out record-release show last night (Tuesday, January 16) at The Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, California. The show came three days before the release of his “Sweetzerland Manifesto” album.
“Sweetzerland Manifesto” collaborators Robin Zander (CHEAP TRICK), David Johansen (THE NEW YORK DOLLS) and Terry Reid (solo artist/vocals) are among the artists who performed at the Roxy show with special guests Slash (GUNS N’ ROSES), actor and Perry‘s HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES bandmate Johnny Depp, and THE BLACK CROWES frontman Chris Robinson. They were joined by Gary Cherone (EXTREME, VAN HALEN), Dean and Robert DeLeo (STONE TEMPLE PILOTS), Buck Johnson (keyboards, vocals; AEROSMITH) and David Goodstein (drums).
The setlist was as follows:
01. Let The Music Do The Talking (guest: Gary Charone)
02. Toys In The Attic (Gary Charone)
03. Pandora’s Box (Gary Charone)
04. Shakin’ My Cage (Gary Charone)
05. I’ll Do Happiness (Terry Reid )
06. Sick & Tired (Terry Reid )
07. Won’t Let Me Go (Terry Reid)
08. Fortunate One (Chris Robinson )
09. Spanish Sushi
10. Eve Of Destruction (Johnny Depp)
11. I Wanna Roll (David Johanson & Johnny Depp)
12. I’m Goin’ Crazy (David Johanson)
13. Countryside Blvd. (Robin Zander)
14. Aye, Aye, Aye (Robin Zander)
16. Rockin’ Train (Gary Charone)
17. Come Together (all guests)
18. Train Kept A-Rollin’ (all guests, including Slash)
Set for release on his own Roman Records imprint (distributed worldwide by AMPED Distribution), “Sweetzerland Manifesto” — which is available for pre-order via iTunes and Amazon — marks Joe‘s sixth solo album and is comprised of 10 new tracks. They were all written or co-written by Joe (many with the album’s guest vocalists), except for a cover of “Eve Of Destruction”, with Joe on lead vocals and Johnny Depp on drums. The album features guest appearances from a long list of Joe‘s friends, colleagues and rock and roll icons. Highlights include “Aye, Aye, Aye”, which Joe co-wrote with the track’s vocalist Robin Zander, and three collaborations with David Johansen, who sings “I Wanna Roll”, “Haberdasher Blues” and “I’m Going Crazy”, plus as many co-writes with Terry Reid whose lead vocals light up “I’ll Do Happiness” (with Zak Starkey on drums), “Sick & Tired” and “Won’t Let Me Go”.