Hi, WITCHNIGHT. Greetings from Sick and Destroy team. What are you up to these days?
– Hi Sick and Destroy! Thanks for the space in the zine. We are beasy working hard with the band for the upcoming concerts. We are touring our country this year.
Would you please introduce your band to our readers who are not aware of your band and music?
– We are a Heavy Metal band from the Santa Fe, Argentina. The members are Axe Steeler on guitars, Ripping Corpse on drums and Bьtcher on bass and vocals who is talking to you.
Give us a little insight into the formation of the band. When and how did it happen?
– Witchnight started as a solo project, with session musicians.
With my other band, Municion we make a more violent and aggressive Black Thrash, and the new songs I wanted to make, had a more metallic sound, different from Municion style. We recorded an EP of 4 songs in collaboration with Axe Steeler and Ripping Corpse.
After the repercussion and the good critics we got, my friends told me; Why not playing live ? So here we are.
At what age did you guys start playing instruments? Since when are you into metal music?
– The guitarist and the drummer are brothers, they started playing music since they were kids, always into rock and metal. they come from a family of musicians.
I started playing bass and singing in 2005 when I was 13 years old, playing in punk and metal bands.
WITCHNIGHT recently released “Unholy Speed Metal”. Tell us something about it. Walk us through all the tracks lyrics and meaning.
– The lyrics talk about heavy metal, horror movies, and dark things from art to mysticism, old school stuff.
Witch’s night talks about dark sacrificial rituals and witches.
Die by the blade is a cult to the first wave of black metal and thrash metal, to bands like Destruction, Venom, Slayer, Bathory, Celtic Frost …
Slut of Hell is about lust and vice. About the prostitutes in my city who come from slums. Many people say that these prostitutes have a pact with the devil and practice black shamanic magic.The fourth song is a cover of RetroSatan, and it is about anti-Christianity.
How has been the response so far by the listeners? Have you started working on new songs already?
– The response was great, I wasn’t looking for such a good answer from the people, I just wanted to make the music I like. But it was great to see how the people liked the band and support us. Regarding the songs, all the time we are composing blasphemous and metal songs.
When and where did you play your first gig? How was the experience of going live for the first time?
– The first time I played live was with a hc punk band in 2005 at the school for 2000 people. It was funny because all the members were 13 years old and we had no experience haha.
But it was very nice.
What, according to you, is the secret behind band’s success?
– Make music for yourself, make music that fill you up, so you feel complete with the result.
Ever had an epic fail moment during a gig?
– Just once. The string of my bass got cut when we were playing in a concert supporting Onslaught. This happened with my other band, Municion.
It was only a moment until it was replaced.
If asked to differentiate WITCHNIGHT from other bands in Argentina, how would you like to respond to it?
– I think we are the only band playing this style in our country.
Which bands/ artists do you draw your influences from? Which are your favorite local bands?
– It is difficult to name all the bands, because they are many. Let’s say that the eighties bands are the purest and damn influence.
My favorite local bands are V8, Bloke, RetroSatan, Kamikaze, Mamut, Thor, Destroyer, Lethal, those come from the 80’s too.
Current bands I like, are Finish Him, Carneross, Encoffined, Psicocancer, Altars of Annihilation, Torke, and many others.
How do you guys manage jobs and gigs? Also how often do you guys gathering altogether just to fun?
– We work as freelancers, so we have no problem with the gigs and tours
We always meet to have fun, in rehearsals, at our places, on the street, and at the bar when there is a concert.
WITCHNIGHT is very promising formation. Talking of your future, 5 years from now, where do you see yourself?
– Thank you!
we are simply speed addicted maniacs! I don’t think much about the future, I only live the present. In 5 years many things can happen haha.
We’ll keep playing metal til die, that’s all we know.
Well, that’s it. Thanks a lot for your time. Speak out to all your fans and supporters.
– Many thanks to you for the interview! Greetings and horns up to the readers of Sick And Destroy and to all the Witchnight’s followers.